Monday, May 2, 2011

The day I discovered my Vitamix made ice cream

Image: Kawaii

Also known as the fourth best day of my life. I've made no secret about my obsession with my beloved Vitamix. Over the three years that we've been together, we've had some fun times, sweet times, bittersweet times, saucy times, and some explosive times. We've had boozy times, crepe-y times and blendy times. But until today, we've never had ice cream-y times. For those of you that have never eaten vegan ice cream, I'm going to tell you something. It's both insanely delicious and stupid expensive. For that reason, it's rare in this house (someone also told me that it's metabolic suicide-and I have a hard time forgetting that). So today when Biggest was sent home with a raging fever, it called for some serious TLC. Our family shares one car and after a walk home in the rain I wasn't expecting that TLC to come in frozen form. But there he was, begging for ice cream and me not having any. Then I remembered the Vitamix Costco demo that sold me on it in the first place. How had I not tried this until now? Into my Vitamix I threw

Mango Lychee Soft Serve
1 cup ice
1/2 cup organic soy milk
1/2 cup cashews
5 dates
1/4 cup frozen mangos
1/4 cup frozen lychees

Using the plunger, keep forcing the ingredients towards the blade until it's relatively smooth. I was really careful to blend it just enough, as the Vitamix will quickly melt that ice. I used an ice cream scoop to dish it out and we all thought we went to heaven. Seriously. No sugar, check. Healthy ingredients, check. No metabolic suicide, check. Not $7.99 a pint, double check. Amazing! I have had a soft serve maker all this time?!? Le sigh. Though that just means that I have to make up for lost time. So for my dinner ice cream I made: (keep in mind with measurements that I'm guesstimating)

Raspberry Chocolate chip Soft Ice Cream
1/4 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup organic soy milk
1 cup ice
2 handfuls cashews
6 dates
1 small handful vegan mini chocolate chips

Repeat same process as above. Except keep chocolate chips out until the last few seconds. I loved this one! The raspberry was really tart with a little sweet, reminiscent of frozen yogurt. Biggest had two cones of this-it's nice when I can say "yes" to more treats sometimes. Stay tuned-I'm already planning tomorrow's ice cream binge. Dear Vitamix, thank you for giving me a reason to wake up tomorrow. Ice cream for breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I found an inexpensive ice cream maker at BB&B a while back and it helps me make some fabulous, fast, and easy ice cream! I use Tam's recipes from Simple, Healthy, Tasty! MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way when I found out I could make ice "cream" with my juicer! So much fun:) Thanks for reading my blog and for all of the lovely comments. I am really glad to have found your little piece of the universe and I plan to follow along!!!!
    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete